Followers

Saturday, September 26, 2009

One Month To Go

It is September 26th which means I have exactly one month before I graduate. It is getting exciting, like knowing I have just turned the corner of a marathon race and can now see the finish line, faint, in the future.

Last weekend I had hit a wall and had to muster all my energy (psychic, mental and emotional) to write the final paper of my second to last class. I sat at the computer for hours not writing. The words just would not come; my thoughts would not congeal into sentences. It was so draining. The paper was due at 11:59 p.m. Monday night and I submitted it at 11:50 p.m. The next day I started my final class, Leadership Priorities and Practice. When I am done, it will signify a chapter of my life closed.

A week ago, Michelle moved out and went to live in the dorms of UCSC. As scared as she was to make such a huge change on her own, she is doing well. Scott and I are kid-less, at least in the day-to-day sense. And if feels good. One more chapter in my life closed, and that is the day-to-day parenting. It is not so much that I am glad to have the house to ourselves. Michelle was often out with friends, so when she is not here, it is much the same. The difference is I don’t have to worry about her anymore like I did. I don’t have to worry about her making curfew, I don’t have to think about what she eats, if she does her chores, who she is hanging out with, if she is spending too much time on the computer or anything else. It feels less like having more space in the house and more like having more space inside my own head.

Maybe now when I sit to write my final papers there will be more space to think and I can write them quicker.

No comments: