Followers

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Queen Elizabeth, The Statue of Liberty and Andrew Jackson

Queen Elizabeth:
Kay Lee handed me a pad of post-its and asked me to draw a cat, a dog, a flower, etc. on each sheet. I obliged as best as I could. Then she asked me to draw Queen Elizabeth. I have no idea where that came from. I drew a lady dressed in a fancy with a large crown. perched on top of her head. Kay Lee was satisfied.

Statue of Liberty
Bent over the low coffee table helping one of the kids with their homework, I felt a cramp in my back and stretched. Behind me, sitting in the white plastic lawn chair at the computer, was Ser, the father, in his usual sarong tied around his waist, an old shirt and surprisingly, he was also wearing a green foam statue of liberty crown.

Andrew Jackson
One of the neighbor girls frequently comes over to have me help her with her homework. I asked her about her family. She said her mom had a baby five months ago. It was a boy, which was unusual for her family, since she already had four younger sisters. I asked her what the baby’s name was. She said, “Andrew Jackson” but it was pronounced Anrew Jasson.

1 comment:

Kelly Stevens said...

Loved this! A neat way to show the blending of cultures! What an interesting undertaking this must be for you!